Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Crash!

My adrenaline rush wore off.

Friday I had to power up to get through that last afternoon in the office. Saturday I cleaned house. Sunday I went to church. Oddly, the latest topic at church is "Why do you come to church?"

"Well--why not?"

Turns out, that's not the expected answer. Singing, worship, meeting friends, that's all included. "Meeting God" is the expected answer, but it's an odd concept for me--how do you "meet" someone who is always with you? This Sunday, Richard Mouw, the president of Fuller Seminary was our guest speaker, and I always look forward to hearing him. He quoted G.K. Chesterton, so I was not disappointed.

Then some friends wanted to go out to lunch and see "National Treasure 2". What a hoot. Doesn't make a lick of sense. But we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately we were at the Paseo Pasadena, which I usually avoid--they make you pay for parking! There's nothing even _approaching_ the spirit of the 99-cent store! By which I mean: the shopping is expensive. Anyhow, on January 20, we got caught up in Doo-Dah Parade traffic, which only lengthened our stay in the Paseo by, oh, about 30 minutes.

But of course after the adrenaline rush is the crash.

Monday morning I woke up at 9:00 a.m. Which, in the p.m., was about the time I had fallen asleep the night before. And my head hurt. If I had not had to attend a condo board meeting, I probably would have just stayed in bed all day. But I would not want to miss the discussion on how my porch screen has been incorrectly installed--I've been so distracted, I didn't even notice. And then there was a lengthy digression about the big dogs in the neighborhood and the stuff they leave behind when they roam our lawn at night.

Coffee, that's how I get through a post-adrenaline crash day. Coffee, coffee, and a little chocolate.

Today I had to get cleaned up and dressed to go to the dentist for my teeth-whitening. hmmmm, could this paragraph and the previous paragraph be related? !!!

Tomorrow I will have to go to the grocery store to do my banking (a sentence which would have made no sense 20 years ago). Thankfully, there are a lot of things I _need_ to do, so I cannot fall into the temptation of crawling back into bed, or, in extreme cases, _under_ the bed.

Coffee, and the comforting thought that I only have to do one day at a time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

laura...i love this blog! keep up the good work and know that i am praying for your work situation. i've been there many times myself and the Lord always will reveal Himself to comfort us during these times. He has something awesome in store for you, so just trust Him!!! just keep thanking Him for the blessings you do have. come visit us here at the show if you are bored one day! take care and God bless! justine